Tuesday, October 11, 2011

First of all, I am typing this on my phone cuz my Internet is down so I apologize in advance for any autocorrect fails. The Jerusalem project has done a wonderful job educating myself and my peers about the situation in Jerusalem. Coming from a place where most of the news surrounding Jerusalem is dire and conflict related, the Jerusalem project is a refreshing new point of view that takes neither side and provides a wealth of knowledge about the situation. The Jerusalem project has challenges me to think in new ways and shown new light on aspects of the situation that I had never before considered. That being said, there are many challenges that the Jerusalem project faces. First and foremost, bringing two groups of people who have been in conflict for so long to peace is never easy, and educating third parties on the issue is good, but i feel like as an outsider, there is very little that I can do to change the situation, and even with all the Jerusalem project has taught me, because I didnt grow up there, I can never fully understand the issues faced by both aides. Secondly, in addition to the fact that I didn't grow up there, I have never even been to Israel or Jerusalem, so my knowledge is limited to what I have read or heard in class. I dont know if the Jerusalem project offers supplementary summer programs or not, but if they do not, they should look onto taking students from the class to the city to see for themselves the issues we have discussed in class. Perhaps even personally introducing them to the speakers and have them show the students in person. Also, some activities in association with local groups of Palestinians and israelis may provide more insight into the two cultures and their views on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. I also feel like an outsider. Sometimes I struggle commenting on what we learn about and discuss in class. I have no idea what it must be like to live in occupied territory or live in the holiest of cities.

    ReplyDelete